Sunday, December 21, 2014

Christmas Poems

   Poetry! I love it! Love it so much that I actually write some in my spare time. I also happen to love Christmas! It is the most wonderful time of the year, after all. :) So, why not put the two together and make some Christmas poetry? I don't see any reason against it!

"Light of the World" by Mark Missman

   This first poem is called "The Reason Why". I actually got the inspiration for it in Christmas season of 2012, but after chewing on it and trying to write it down once, it just wasn't working out how I had planned. So I gave up until Christmas of 2013. Which after about 2 more tries, I got it right. Or at least, that's how I felt at the time. Now I'm not so sure... Nonetheless, here it is!





   The Reason Why 
   By Maggie Rice

   A still and peaceful silent night,
   Fingerprinted stars above,
   A light shone down on Bethlehem,
   And God gave to us His love.

The world lay sleeping, unaware,
Of the holy, precious gift,
The Thread God sent to mend anew
The tattered, blackened rift.

The prayers of millions of souls
Were answered on that night,
When God sent to the Darkness,
The searching, saving Light.

Hymns of praise were sung abroad,
And reverent men fell down,
At the feet of baby Jesus,
Whose glory shone around.

Two-thousand years have come and gone,
And still men worship there,
Giving their all to the Holy One,
And casting aside their care. 

Never forget the little manger,
Where Jesus Christ was born.
Never forget the Reason why,
We celebrate on Christmas morn. 


   And the second one,"Sleeping On". This is one that I wrote this year, and no one but myself has laid eyes on it as of yet. You, reader, whoever you might be, are the first person outside of, well, me, to read it. Not that it's some deeply moving powerful thing that I was saving for the perfect time to reveal. I just haven't gotten around to showing it to anyone yet. 

Sleeping On
By Maggie Rice

For millenia we've waited,
Looking forward to the King,
The promise of the virgin birth,
The salvation it would bring.

A scarlet thread through history,
A blood-lined Roman's Road,
Into the womb of Mary,
This seed of love was sown.

Our expected King was but a child,
A tiny babe in manger lay,
Great conqueror, our salvation,
Quietly sleeping in the hay.

The snow white Lamb, the Sacrifice,
Slept with sheep and ox that night,
The Lord of all, Redeemer,
Was warmed by a lantern's feeble light.

How lowly, oh how humble!
Was the Messiah's birth!
The waiting world lay sleeping on,
Unaware he'd come to earth. 

   There you have it! Two Christmas poems for your reading pleasure! Or, just your reading. Pleasure is optional. 
   Anyhoo, I hoped you enjoyed them, and that they helped to remind you what Christmas is really about. I know it's hard to remember sometimes with all of the beautiful Christmas things to distract us. But try to remember why we celebrate this wonderful holiday. Take a minute to think about what Christmas really means, in general, and personally in your life. Is it just another holiday, or is it the birthday of Jesus Christ, the Son of God? What does it mean to you?
   And can you believe that it's almost here? Just three more days! Wowzers! Where does time go? But, I sincerely hope that you get to spend some time with your loved ones, and that the season was beautiful, and that your Christmas is too! Have a very merry Christmas everyone! 

MR

P.S. For those of you who have seen the latest Hobbit movie, I am going to be posting a little something about the things I liked and didn't like about it sometime after Christmas and before January. Though, 'little' is probably not the most accurate word to use. A big something is closer to the mark...  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment