Monday, September 21, 2015

Thoughts on the Use of Strong Language/"Bad Words"

'Ello, dearest readers!
   Another week done and gone. Wowzers. We're almost into October, people! Can you believe that?? I can't!!
   Dang, where did 2015 go?
   I hope you all had a good week. :) I had a pretty good one overall. :D

   So, I'm pretty sure some of you know about Blimey Cow and watch Messy Mondays. I used to watch them faithfully every week for quite awhile. As of late, I haven't been watching them, for no particular reason. Right now it's because I'VE DONE ALMOST NOTHING BUT WRITING DURING MY FREE TIME. ((Which is paying off, by the way. Only five chapters left in my book!!))
   But yeah. I'm a pretty big fan of good ol' Blimey Cow. I mean, they are pretty hilarious.
   A couple nights ago, I was wasting my precious time on the internet, and decided to watch a couple. I just clicked on one of the recent ones and watched it. And it just happened to be this one right here:



((You're gonna want to watch this if this post is going to make any sense. :P))
   It got me thinking.
   Before I start this, lemme just say... I love Blimey Cow!! I really, really do! But I differ with them a little on this issue. I do also agree with them on some points.
   For example: I agree that words are just words, and that tearing people down with them is one of the worst ways they can be used.
   However. I don't believe a Christian should swear. (Which, though Blimey Cow never came outright and said that it's okay if Christians swear, they kind of implied it. I could totally be wrong about what they were trying to say, but this is just how it sounded to me. So I'm going with it, hehheh.)
   Why? For one, the Bible specifically commands against using the Lord's name in vain. That means a few things, but one of those things is not using His name as a curse word. And a lot of the other "bad words" (that I know of anyway. I am no swearing expert. XP) are used to tear people down.
   Of course, this doesn't bother most of the people who use them, now does it?
   That we can't control. But I still believe that as Christians, we should watch our tongue and keep it from saying words or phrases that our culture has deemed as wrong. Even if they are "just words".
   So... Why?
   For one reason. The Bible commands us to be different from the world. And if we're going around saying all the words that the world is saying and sounding just as crude and foul as them, we're not very different, are we?
   Now, this isn't the only way we should stay different than the world. There are plenty of others, but I have school in the morning. I thought I'd give you all a couple of my thoughts on the matter.
   What do you guys think about this? I'd love you hear your opinions. :) And sorry for the super short post.
   Until next week!!


   MR

4 comments:

  1. In my opinion bad words are very relative. When my mom was young it was considered bad to say "I screwed up", on the same level as the F word. Nowadays it's just another way of saying you messed up. The "S" word is just a synonym for "crap" or "crud", both of which are in my regular vocabulary.
    As for the "H" and "D" words, I don't like those. I don't think that anybody should trivialize such very real and serious things. Only God has the authority to actually damn, and Hell is a place that should be remembered with healthy respect.
    Both "B" words are crude and unfair to their respective targets, so I don't condone those.
    But as other swear words... I have a slightly higher tolerance for them. I don't swear myself, but I understand that it's like a second language to other people. I mean, when I mutter "dang!" or "drat!" in frustration, it comes to abut the same thing- an expression of disgust or frustration with the situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points. :) I also agree that "bad words" are relative. Everyone has a slightly different opinion on them, and everyone always will. I say words like 'crud' and 'darn' a lot and they don't bug me, but it might offend or upset someone else. I guess, I just feel like we as Christians just need to make sure we would never turn people away from, or give a false view of Jesus Christ because of what we say. Whether that's saying 'crud', the 'S' word, or just being rude to someone. So in the end, I think we should try to be like Christ and honor him every time we open our mouths. (Hopefully this makes sense...)

      Delete
  2. *slow clap* Bravo, Maggie! Bravo.
    But seriously, I really like Blimey Cow (though I mostly watch Jordan's separate channel) and have for a while now, but I do disagree with their thinking on this issue. Of course, they didn't exactly say it, but Josh was on a podcast (or at least I thought it was a podcast) with SayGoodnightKevin and Bobby Burns. Bobby (I don't really know him, never watched his videos or anything) swore twice with the 'A' and 'B' words in use. Then he retracted his statement, but Kevin and Josh told him he was fine. I didn't like that. I know, they weren't ON blimeycow, but still! Fans are watching, many children.
    Anyway, aside my rant... great post! Agree with it 100% :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! And I agree with you. Even if it doesn't bother you, you should keep in mind other people's opinions and the fact that children are watching.

      Delete